June 2, 2015 – Guilt, appointments, and fever

Today started out as a pretty good morning — Roger and I kidding around on the couch before he went to school and I started work. I reveled in the happiness and the giggles. I gave him a huge hug and kiss goodbye….

Fast forward to 10-15 minutes later…I get a call from my husband: we forgot to put Roger’s nap pillow and blanket in the car. Roger was having a meltdown in the backseat of the car and they were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. I did not feel particularly guilty and vowed not to obsess over it, since Grapevine would be over an hour round trip for me to deliver the nap set.
However, about an hour into work, I receive an email asking if I could bring Roger’s blanket to school since he was  so very sad. My automatic reaction was, “I have to bring it otherwise I am not a good mom”. I had a bone density scan scheduled and realized that there really is no way I would be able to deliver it by noon. Of course, that did not stop me from obsessing  over it until I get an email from Roger’s teacher that said he got to pick out a blanket and pillow. He chose a Lightning McQueen pillow and was no longer sad.

At the imaging center, the technician was amazed that someone my age was getting a bone density scan. I assured her that, although my age may be 41, I feel like I am 90. The rest of my afternoon was pretty uneventful and work-oriented.
Finally, it was time to pick up Roger and go to McDonald’s and gymnastics. Well, he seemed a bit lethargic when I picked him up but we proceeded to McDonald’s. He wanted his usual: fries and Dr. Pepper. When the lady in front of us was handed a chocolate-dipped ice cream cone, he added that to his order. He took a couple of tiny bites of the ice cream, about 2 fries and ignored the soda. I started the timer for 15 minutes, so we would be on time for gymnastics. Roger looks at me and tells me he is not feeling well and wants to go home. He ended up having a slight fever and fell asleep on the way home.

After getting him settled on the couch, I get a phone call from my internist with the results of my thyroid ultrasound. There seems to be a “dominant complex nodule on the right thyroid lobe”…dabbled with vascularity and fluid behind the lobe…4 x 1 x 2.5 cm. Those are the notes I scrawled down. She wants to send the results to an endocrinologist surgeon for a second opinion. She thinks the surgeon will give me another ultrasound and a fine needle biopsy. This kicked my OCD into high gear on Google.

Mentally busy day. Now, let’s rest!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s